2016_Carbon Monoxide Detectors from John Finan on Vimeo.

Each of us has five senses: touch, sight, hearing, taste, and smell.

And most things in life touch on at least one of these five senses. But there is one thing that your senses can't pick up on, and that's carbon monoxide. You can't taste it, smell it, or see it, and it is powerful. In fact, it can kill you. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odorless gas that can build up in homes as a result of an improperly maintained or malfunctioning gas-burning appliances like your stove, your oven, your boiler, furnace, and dryer.

In fact, your gas-burning fireplace and your idling car can expose you to deadly carbon monoxide. That's why the National Fire Protection Association recommends that you install carbon monoxide detector outside of every sleeping area and bedroom. Let's take a look.

There are three basic types of carbon monoxide detectors. This one here is a plug-in unit. This one isn't recommended for most homes because it needs to be installed at eye level, that's because carbon monoxide is a gas that's slightly lighter than air and most outlets are located near the floor. This one is a battery-operated unit and this just snaps right into a base plate so you can put it where you need it. This one is my favorite because it gets hardwired right into your electrical system. It does require a professional installation but I like it because it runs off power from your house plus it has a battery back-up just in case that power goes out. Nice. If you have questions about your carbon monoxide detectors or you'd like a home safety check, give us a call. We'd be happy to help you out.

This post was written by John Finan

July 16, 2017